September 26, 2014

Five for Friday {Linky Party.. September 26th}

fiveforfriday2_thumb[3]

Five for Friday is a weekly teacher linky party where you post five random things from today or this past week and on your blog. Then, you come back and link your blog post up at the bottom of this post in the linky tool.Grab the button above and link back to this post on your blog.

Divider 1

We are wrapping up our Dog Unit. Something new I did this year were these super cute newspaper dogs.

IMG_7190    IMG_7191IMG_7192IMG_7193       IMG_7194IMG_7195        IMG_7196IMG_7197

IMG_7198IMG_7199

Even though a few of them resemble rabbits.. they are cute and colorful!

Divider 2IMG_7237IMG_7239     IMG_7241

Last week I had a mini {more like a HUGE} panic attack because I felt like a handful of my firsties were having more than usual struggles learning their sight words. So, this week was all about drilling, drilling and a little more drilling. We have practiced these words so much I am probably saying them in my sleep.

This was one of the “games” we played this week. I wrote all of our words on my whiteboard and I started out by calling out a word and one of my students had to find it and circle it. Then, I picked a caller and a finder. The “caller” would call out a word and the “finder” would circle it.

Divider 3

IMG_7235

Here is another “game” I pulled out of my bag of tricks. All you need are flash cards and dice.

    IMG_7230

The student with the most cards at the end of the game wins.

IMG_7233IMG_7231

Here is a little trick.. give students a basket or a cup to keep their words in when it is not their turn. Otherwise, they will either play with them nonstop when it is someone else’s turn or they get mixed up with someone they are sitting beside.

We played this in small groups so it was only six at a time playing.

I also really like to play games where the winner is based on luck and not on  smartness.

Otherwise… the same little whizzes win each time.

Divider 4

IMG_7244     IMG_7223IMG_7245      IMG_7224

As I was going through my pictures for this week trying to figure out my “five” things.. I came across these and I just wonder how I ever survived without a smartphone. Seriously, our lives are so easy these days! I screenshot recipes I find on pinterest so I can easily see the ingredients. It makes grocery shopping much easier. Unless you leave your phone in your car when you go into the store… happens all the time!

But seriously.. I screenshot everything for quick reference!

Divider 5

Slide5_thumb

Last week was my Pirate themed Five for Friday.. and I promised a Mystery Box Giveaway! I picked comment number 8.. and that was Susan Palmer.

 Email me Susan! I need your shipping address for your mystery box of goodies! I will make sure to share pictures of what was included before I ship!

 

Link up below.

Please remember to use the button at the top of this post in your FFF post and link back to this blog post.

20 comments:

  1. Kacey, I love this post! AND I love those little dogs. They are precious! Happy Weekend!
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! Tons of good ideas. I love the sight word practice on the board. I use a fly swatter for students to "swat" the words being called out. ;) Thanks for hosting the link up once again!
    Literacy Loving Gals

    ReplyDelete
  3. I L-O-V-E your DOGS! What mentor text do you use when you teach the unit? The students did such a great job! Also, the color background adds SO much flair!
    Loving Kinders

    ReplyDelete
  4. First of all those dogs are the cutest thing ever! Your kids did such a great job on them!! :) I am so jelly that you have time to do fun projects like that. In 3rd grade, I still can but not as much. I also screenshot everything on my cell phone. You got me thinking.... 'What did I ever do before mine' this week when you shared your pictures! Have a great week. Thanks for the linky.
    Ana
    Mrs. Bentin's Blackboard

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMGosh! Your DOGS are FABULOUS! I must try that with my first graders too! Absolutely adorable. Will you let us know if you have the doggie tracing templates available in your TPT store? That would be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those dog are ADORABLE!!!!! We have to do those for sure!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an adorable art project! Those dogs turned out great! I love your screen shots, I do the same thing...all.the.time! What would we do without those smart phones?

    Have a great weekend!

    Aimee
    Primarily Speaking

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm your winner from last week! Yay for me! I couldn't find your email anywhere, but here's mine: sumipa77@gmail.com

    BTW those dogs are way too cute and we're totally gonna steal that idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lots of cute ideas. Thanks so much for sharing!
    Domikiddos

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your dogs! We're definitely going to be making those.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really Love your posts.thanks for sharing and benefitting our students. Love the word review idea. Can certainly use it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. As always, I love this weekly linky. Those dogs are absolutely adorable... I am definitely going to have to do this!!!

    Kelly
    First Grade Fairytales

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those dogs are too cute! I pinned your dice with flash cards game. I love it and so easy! I'm all about easy!

    Crystal
    Teaching Little Miracles

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG!! Those doggies are the CUTEST ever!!! LOVE them!!

    :) Tamra and Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your sight words ideas! Thank you for sharing!!

    Happy Weekend!
    Katie
    TheScooponPrimary

    ReplyDelete
  16. The newspaper dogs are so sweet - what a great idea!
    Growing Little Learners

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your sight word games!! So fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those little newspaper dogs are adorable, Kacey!

    ReplyDelete
  19. ditto ditto ditto ... the newspaper dog art... is AWESOME!!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE...
    I am so glad to be able to link back up with you... I LOVE your linky!!!
    thanks so much for hosting it!!!

    ReplyDelete