September 9, 2012

“at family” unit



Last week we worked on our first word family. The –at family! It goes along perfect with our Pete the Cat week too!

I bundled all my activities I made to use with the –at family and created a little mini unit

Mini Unit: –at family

Here are a few things included in this unit.


1. Stamp the “at words” paper
2. Read and Highlight or Circle the “at words” sentences.
3. Pick a word to complete the sentences.
4.“at words” word search


5. 20 “at words” sentence flash cards {in color and in black and white}


These are the color sentences above. We used these everyday last week.


These are the same sentences- but in black and white. I also printed them 2 pages per page {that is an option when you print from adobe reader}. I printed them on colored cardstock.

6. Read the room cards and a recording sheet


I introduced my new class to “Read the Room” . They had to walk and find the 10 –at word cards and write the words on the recording sheet.


7. “at words” flash cards {in color and in black and white}


Here are the flash cards in colored and black and white.

I  printed the black and white ones 2 pages per page {that is an option when you print from adobe reader}. I printed them on colored cardstock. I printed 4 sets of the b&w ones  (on orange, pink, green and blue paper).


Everyday we played a game with these. I randomly handed out the colored cards to my students I would put the “white card” in the pocket chart and if they had a card that matched they would come put their card beside the white card. The student who got rid of their cards first was the winner. I like games like this because the winner is based on luck and not who knows the words the best- so anyone can win!


Here is the link if you are interested in purchasing these activities:

Purchase Link: Mini Unit: –at family

xoxo, Kacey


Coming soon: Fall Pocket Chart Activities, Fire Safety Centers

{store * facebook}



Heather said...

Looks great! My kiddos love "Write the Room." Looking forward to your Fall Pocket Chart Activities!

Heather (

carriebeez said...

cute ideas! I started read and write the room last week too--what a hit! I love the idea of doing a work family week.

Carrie :)
The First Grade Derby

Lori L said...

Love these activities!

Kathleen said...

I have to say I love your blog! When I'm short on time for blog reading, yours is one of the few that make my must-read list. I taught for 15 years, 12 of first grade. I now homeschool my own children and come to your blog for inspiration. Your ideas are so simple, but purposeful and not cluttered with too many graphics or silly fonts. I wish I could afford everything you make, but I am inspired to make my own variations for use at home from your wonderful blog. You isolate key concepts for practice so well that match skills I work on here at home, or they are easy to adjust higher for my precocious kiddos. If I were still a classroom teacher I should think I'd love to teach on your team as I see so many similarities and qualities about your work that resonate with how I view teaching. Cheers to a good year for you and thank you for sharing all that you do! From a very appreciative classroom veteran, KT

Mona said...

I just love the format and simplicity of these activities. It's perfect for my first graders.

First Grade Schoolhouse

Annie Moffatt said...

love your stuff! So sweet, adorable and super effective!